A nine-year-old girl from Colorado suffered third-degree burns after an Instant Pot pressure cooker exploded and sprayed boiling soup all over her face and body.
Caroline Cooper, who is now 11, was also hit by a burst of hot steam after “venting” the pan when she buzzed to indicate she had finished cooking the broth.
Caroline, her mother Mary and her father Matt live in the town of Highlands Ranch. They say the pot has “exploded” despite the youngster “venting” the steam to release the pressure inside.
Caroline Cooper, pictured here when she was nine, was left with third degree burns after an electric pressure cooker exploded, sending hot soup all over her face and arms
Caroline’s face was burnt by steam
“I went to the kitchen to help my mom prepare her soup because I love to cook with my mom. And when we vented it, I opened it, and it just exploded, ”Caroline said. Fox31.
‘I closed my eyes. I remember my mother was on the floor. My father had come running up the stairs, ”Caroline remembers.
“I was screaming at my mom to take my shirt off because it was still burning me, so my dad picked me up and took me to the hospital right away because my mom was in shock.
The distressing incident left Caroline with third degree burns to 16% of her body.
She ended up suffering 16 percent burns all over her body and had to undergo weeks of treatment at the Colorado Children’s Hospital Burn Center.
She suffered permanent burns to her shoulder, arm, chest and torso
Caroline didn’t want to watch her burns while getting treatment because it was so upsetting
“I thought Instant Pot was the greatest invention. I thought it would help my soup cook faster. I thought it was fantastic. Anything that makes dinner faster and easier is great for a new mom, ”Mary’s mom told Fox31.
“I had made exactly the same soup before, cooking with the children. Everyone is next to the island and Caroline wanted to come and help me. The soup is ready. He beeps it’s done. We manually ventilate it and steam comes out letting you know there is no pressure, ”said Mary. “The valve float drops and we’re going to open it and put the kale in. We were just going to add kale. And it exploded. Completely exploded. ‘
“The sound was awful. A real explosion. The lid flew somewhere – I don’t even know where – and every piece, every piece of soup came out of the pot and was in our kitchen. On the ceiling, on the floor. All the walls were covered, ”she said.
According to the lawsuit, “Caroline Cooper suffered severe, painful, disfiguring and permanent burns to her shoulder, arm, chest and torso.”
Mary Cooper said she was a huge fan of the Instant Pot when she ordered it online, but the family are now suing the makers.
The incident also left Caroline, now 11, concerned that she would be near hot items.
Weeks of treatment at the Colorado Children’s Hospital burn center were both a physical and mental strain on Caroline
The youngster had to undergo weeks of treatment at Children’s Hospital Colorado Burn Center.
‘Caroline didn’t want to see her burns, so they held a sheet over her face didn’t have to look at her body, so they had to dress her and clean her wounds and dress them and put casts on her so she couldn’t. not move, ”Mary told the TV station.
As a result of the accident, she often becomes anxious about hot liquids or hot food being cooked.
There has been a huge increase in the popularity of Instant Pot thanks to the product’s ability to quickly cook dishes, such as soups and stews.
The device is supposed to be a safer version of the old-fashioned pressure cookers.
Instant Pot says stove should be impossible to open when under pressure
At least one experiment has shown that it is possible to remove the cover when it is under pressure
Caroline was excited to cook and help her mom cook when she was burned
Manufacturers claim that when under pressure, it cannot be opened thanks to a metal safety valve that prevents removal of the cover.
However, the lawsuit alleges that Instant Pot’s main “safety” claim – that a pressurized pot cannot be opened by the consumer – is “not true”.
Independent investigations, including one by a TV station, revealed that one of the three jars tested could be opened under pressure.
Hot liquid was sprayed on a firefighter performing the test, which would have been burned if he had not worn special safety equipment.
“At Instant Brands, we are committed to providing high quality products to our valued customers, and their satisfaction and safety is our top priority. While Instant Brands’ policy is not to comment on pending litigation, the product complies with all applicable industry standards, ”a spokesperson said in a statement.